Monday, September 25, 2017

Diabelli Project 163 - Benedictus for SATB

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

One of the fun things about doing these flash composition sketches is that sometimes I surprise myself. When I started the ten-minute timer, I had no idea what I would write. Then the opening phrase of the Benedictus popped into my head, and the rest just flowed.

I've already sketched an Agnus Dei and a Kyrie in this series. Are they all part of the same mass setting? Not sure. The tonal centers these three movements are in do fit together. So perhaps there's something there.



As always, you can use any or all of the posted Diabelli Project sketches as you wish for free. Just be sure to share the results. I'm always curious to see what direction someone else can take this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment