Friday, July 07, 2017

Line Mar Match Box Construction 057 - Wash Machine

I found a Line Mar Match Box Construction Set from the 1930s, complete and with instructions. The box claimed the set made 100 different toys. I decided to test that claim -- one toy at a time. You can read all the posts for the Line Mar construction project at 100 Toys.

057. Wash Machine

Yes, "Wash Machine." Remember, this toy was made in Japan for Marx. The instruction sheet had to be in English. In this case, apparently from a Japanese/English dictionary (used by a non-English speaker).  

This build was extremely difficult. It's easy to draw those four rods perfectly parallel. It's quite another matter to make them stay in position with just fiberboard washers. 

The extended crankshaft was a major challenge. The wooden collar didn't fit tight enough to hold the two dowels securely. Plus, the support struts could barely hold the weight of the assembly. 

You may notice that the yellow matchbook cover is absent in this photo. I always include it for scale but forgot to place it before taking the photo. After I had moved on to the next toy, I realized my error and tried to rebuild the wash machine. 

After an hour or so, I gave up. I now know how lucky I was to get the thing assembled and shot in the first place!


No comments:

Post a Comment