Friday, March 24, 2017

Line Mar Match Box Construction 045 Telegraph Pole

I found a Line Mar Match Box Construction Set from the 1930s, complete and with instructions. The box claimed the set made 100 different toys. I decided to test that claim -- one toy at a time. You can read all the posts for the Line Mar construction project at 100 Toys.

045. Telegraph Pole

As you can see, the completed toy doesn't look much like the illustration. Some of it had to do with the artistic license the illustrator and/or the designer took. And some of it had to do with the practicality of construction.

The illustration shows the collars mounted on very short dowel rods. No such dowels came with the set. I had the option of cutting the shorter dowels in half, but then I wouldn't have them available for the rest of the series. So I made do as best I could without altering any pieces.

The wooden collar connecting the two post dowels is in a different position than shown. As noted in last week's post, the collars don't fit very tightly, so I have to make sure the bottom dowel is secure. And that meant threading it through both the top and bottom openings of the metal piece. 

Also, the upper dowel as illustrated falls between two available lengths supplied in the set. In order to be true to the directions, I needed to trim one of the longest dowels.

So below is as close as I could come to the illustration without altering any pieces.


No comments:

Post a Comment