Monday, March 13, 2017

Duet for Violin and Percussion - Part 3

As part of my Diabelli Project flash composition series, I wrote four sketches for violin and percussion. They seemed to have potential, and so I'm expanding them into a larger four-movement composition. And I decided to document my progress on this Duet for Violin and Percussion (primarily to keep me on task).

Sketch score finished!

The last time I posted about this work, I had just completed the first movement. Well, the other three followed in rapid succession (I was kind of surprised myself). 

Second movement

In contrast to the up-tempo first movement, this one's a little slower. The percussionist plays both marimba and glockenspiel, providing a 2-against-3 rhythmic pulse. The movement's in an AB form, so it doesn't return to where it began. Don't worry, though -- that opening percussion figure will appear later on. 






Third movement

Although this movement has a slower tempo marking than the second, it probably won't seem that way to the listener. There are fast runs all over the place providing a sense of energy and (I hope) urgency. 

The percussionist plays tympani, which is a tuned membrane instrument, and snare drum, which is an untuned membrane instrument. This movement's in ABA form, with a greatly abbreviated A'. 









Fourth movement

The final movement is fast and furiously played. It's in an ABACA rondo form. As the movement goes on, motifs from the previous movements reappear. Some just make a cameo, others get reworked. 







Next steps

I already see flaws in the percussion part I want to fix, and some parts I'd like to tighten up, but I won't. Not now. Now I'll just put it aside and revisit the work sometime in mid-April. That will let me approach it with fresh eyes (and ears). And in the meantime, I'll be subconsciously thinking about those details I don't like.

Next week I'll post another Diabelli Project flash composition sketch (which I still do almost every week). I've already started work on another piece, but I'll share the details when it's a little further along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment