Monday, July 11, 2016

Diabelli Project 117 - Piece for solo marimba

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

This week's flash composition is another sketch for solo marimba -- and I'm sure it will tie in with some of the previous sketches. Usually when I start writing, I start at the beginning of the piece, so just about the point where things get interesting, time's run out and I have to put down the pen. Conceptually, I think this one starts somewhat in the middle. I really wanted to see if I could get to a transition point in the allotted ten minutes, and so I did.

The first part of this sketch seems to continue the idea of No. 102, which treats each hand separately. After the 2/4 rest, I think the chordal section could grow into that of No. 113, which also is built on tightly-packed intervals.


That's the way I see it, but perhaps you see this sketch expanding outwards in a different fashion. As always, you can use any or all of the posted Diabelli Project sketches as you wish for free. Just be sure to share the results. I'm always curious to see what direction someone else can take this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment