Monday, July 27, 2015

Diabelli Project 100 - Piano Piece

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

It was unintentional, but the 100th installment in this series ends where it began -- with a simple keyboard piece. What's interesting to me, though, is what that term now means. My most recent flash composition runs eight bars with some changing texture throughout. (click on images to enlarge)


By contrast, here's Diabelli Project 001's entry:


It's also in 2/4, but what a difference. When I first started, I could barely manage five measures of a single line melody. And really, that's what a canon at the octave is; a single line repeated over itself (at least in the exposition). 

My weekly flash compositions have strengthened my creative energies, which was the primary goal. What happens next? I'll still dash off some flash compositions when I have a spare moment or two -- but now it's time to take some of these ideas and develop them into full-blown compositions. I might share my progress on these from time to time.

The real challenge, though, won't be completing the compositions, but finding musicians to perform them. But it's past time for me to work on that problem, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment