Monday, July 20, 2015

Diabelli Project 099 - Brass Quintet

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

This week's flash composition turned out to be rather ambitious. Within the allotted time frame, I managed to dash off the opening to a brass quintet. Its simple texture and rhythms remind me of music by Walter Ross, who I studied composition with. But that wasn't the intention. As always, when the timer starts, I just let the ideas flow unfettered. So this wasn't a conscious homage to Ross. It just...  happened. (Click on images to enlarge).





As always, these sketches are made available to anyone who wishes to use them (even if you're name isn't Walter Ross). All I ask is that you share the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment