Monday, April 27, 2015

Diabelli Project 088 - Percussion Trio

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

One of the purposes of doing these flash composition sketches is to tap into my creative subconscious. Having to write as much music as possible in 10 minutes without premeditation has really spurred my creativity -- and created some surprises.

This week's effort was another percussion trio -- my third in this series. When I wrote this, I wasn't consciously thinking of the other two fragments (see: Diabelli Project 055 and 075). But they do sort of fit together, especially when I look at the forces involved.


Trio Player 1 Player 2 Player 3
055 5 Timbales Tamborine, Wood Block Cymbal, Gong
078 4 Tympani (F, C#, D, F) Tamborine Snare Drum
088 4 Tympani (F, D, E, F) 4 Timbales Cymbal, Snare Drum

It's possible to have three players cover everything for all three sketches. Here's this week's entry:

(click on image to enlarge)


What happens next? That's up to you. As always, this sketch is offered freely for any and all to use. Just let me know of the results. And just for the record -- when I've completed the Diabelli Project, I'll be returning to this trio of trios and see if they're actually part of a much larger work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment