Monday, January 27, 2014

Diabelli Project 026 - Fugue in C major

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

This sketch is a little more straight-forward than the past few. It's clearly in the key of C major, for example. And the repeated three-note motif crops up in every measure. It's easy to remember, and it gives the composer lots to work with. The subject is somewhat long-winded, though, but it has possibilities.


Does this remain a two-voice fugue? As I recall, I thought it might work as a double fugue. At the next bar the second fugue would begin, probably with a more active motif. But that's just me. If you come up with your own solution, be sure to let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment