Monday, October 21, 2013

Diabelli Project 016 - Motet a 4

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

For this entry I decided to go a different route. Perhaps inspired by my surroundings (I sketch these in church right before the service starts), I decided to try a motet for four voices. While the harmonic motion isn't exactly traditional, I think it flows nicely. And it does what I want it to, which is carry that three-note scalar motif throughout the piece. (click to enlarge)


So how do these four lines cadence? On a strong G major chord? Do they move to the dominant and end on V/V - V (A7 - D major)? Or something else?  Chose your own musical adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment