Tuesday, September 11, 2012

One thousand posts -- our top five

As promised when I marked the milestone of the 1,000th post to Off Topic'd, here are the five most popular posts in the six-year history of the blog. I'm not quite sure what it all means, though...

5) Pardon Our Mess
I have to admit, I have no real idea of why this post gets so much traffic. This 2008 post took a local radio station to task for putting up a website with "Under Construction" icons on it. It was basically a discussion of why it's more professional to not go public with a site until you're ready instead of using such place holders. But if it means there's one less animated GIF of a worker digging, I guess it's all worthwhile.

4) The Straco Layout, Part 10 - Paving the Pegboard Paradise
The Straco Layout series chronicles the construction of my portable display of early 1960's Japanese tinplate toy vehicles and trains. Why this post, out of the entire series, made it into the top 5 is a mystery to me. It just shows how I painted a road on the pegboard base. Maybe it's the embedded video that makes it so popular?

3) The Straco Layout, Part 2 - Getting the board
I'm not sure why Part 10 of this series garnered so much traffic. I have even less of an idea why Part 2 tops it in number of page views. It's a very short post explaining why I decided to go with a pegboard for the layout. That's it. Really.

2) Marching Memes 3 - and a new topic
I wonder if the reason why this post gets so many views is because of the word "meme" in the title. And yet the other posts in the series (Marching Memes and Return of the Marching Memes) don't have anyway near the traffic of this post. This is one of the reasons I don't use the stats to shape the direction of the content.

And the most popular post of all time is:

1) Goodnight Opus
I write about comic strips frequently on this blog. My primary purpose is to encourage folks who dismiss comic strips as a momentary amusement to take a second look at the quality of graphic and storytelling talent lavished on this "disposable" art form. The final installment of Berkeley Breathed's comic strip "Opus" was a major event in the comics field, and perhaps outside of it as well. I'm not surprised my discussion of the strip's finale garnered interest.





No comments:

Post a Comment