Saturday, February 04, 2012

The Straco Layout - Part 15, The Roads Must Roll!

Before: The subdivision's road just stops. That house next to
car will have to be moved for the new intersection.
The small little setup I've built around a Japanese toy train continues to grow (with minimal cost).

There will soon be an addition to the layout (read more about the whole project here), and so it's time to finish the roadwork. Unlike real life, extending a road and creating a parking lot had no environmental impact.

To make room for a new intersection, I just moved a house over, and for the parking lot relocated the potted trees (if only it were thus in real life).

The new road, ready to travel.
Like before, creating the new roads was a simple task. I just outlined the area with painter's tape and started painting. I let the new paint dry for a day, and went back with my white paint marker and did the outline around the edges. Using painter's tape on either side of those lines meant I didn't have to worry about having a steady hand.

So what's new? I extended the road on off the board, creating another railroad crossing. When I originally laid out the road, I wasn't sure what would go there, which is why I left it blank. I also created a new intersection and added a parking area.

For what? Stay tuned for Part 16!
The new intersection and parking lot. There are very good
reasons why it's the shape it is, as you'll soon see.

Since I just used more of the Testor's paint I previously purchased, there wasn't any additional cost to the improevments.
  • Pegboard: $4.95
  • Flathead Screws: $0.40
  • Moulding: $2.49
  • SilClear: borrowed from a friend
  • Green Paint: left over from another project
  • Wood Screws: $3.60
  • Felt Pads: $1.99
Power Pack: $5.90
Small Houses: $3.00
Testor's Gray Paint for road: $1.29
Two Japanese toy cars: $2.00

Total Cost: $25.62

#Straco

No comments:

Post a Comment