Thursday, February 02, 2012

The Many Faces of Me

I've noticed something interesting as I flit from social media site to social media site. Although I share a lot of the same things, the overall pictures they build up are different.

So the folks who only follow me on FaceBook have a different view then my Twitter followers, or my Google+ circlers, or even my LinkedIn contacts.

I don't think that necessarily a bad thing. Some of these sites have specific functions, and so broadcasting the same post to all doesn't make a lot of sense. LinkedIn, for example, I use for business purposes (which was its original intent), so not a lot of personal stuff gets posted there. FaceBook is more for family and friends-style content (at least for me), while Twitter is just for light conversation. Google+ I'm still just getting into, so I'm probably somewhat of a cypher there.

If you follow me on more than one of those sites, you'll have a more complete picture of who I am and what's important to me. And it's something I've noticed in others. Some people have almost have a completely different personality for each site.  Which is something I need to keep in mind.

In real life, we all fill different roles -- what I talk about at work is different than what I talk about among close friends (and even if the subject is the same, the tenor of the conversation is usually not). There was a time when I thought I had but one online persona. Glad to realize that's not the case.


No comments:

Post a Comment